Pages

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Healthy Dog Treats

Its safe to say I am completely obsessed with my little cocker spaniel, Teddy. I rescued him back in April and my life has revolved around him ever since. He is nothing but sweet, smiley and such a lover! However, since he is so attached, to me specifically, he has some major separation issues. My carpet is full of pee stains (YUCK) and I come home occasionally to poop also. I am trying to train but I'm finding out he needs more than just a dog bone and a thunder-shirt  I think I may need to get him on anxiety pills, which is exactly what I didn't want to do. But, what's a girl to do? I would rather he be on no medications and go the natural way but I also want to help fulfill his anxiety. Have any of you been through this before? My vet suggests the pills and says they aren't terrible for him but that he will probably be on them forever.

Well theres my .02 what I'm really here to talk about is the home-ade dog treats I make for my little pooch. Like I said, I would rather he eat natural foods and only treats that I make. If you actually read the labels it's quite disgusting what is in dog treats. I discovered this recipe and have only given him these ever since.

Teddy is probably the pickiest dog I have ever met but he chows these down in an instant. And I love it because I know what is in them, they are easy to make and they are "good" for him.

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 finely chopped apple
1 beaten egg
1/3 cup veggie oil
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 cup cold water
a dash of cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease cookie sheets

First, blend flour, oatmeal in a large mixing bowl. Stir in apple, beaten egg, oil, sugar and water until well blended (sometimes I add a little more water if the mixture is too dry). Flour your workspace and spread dough out. Take a cookie cutter (I have a dog bone, heart, gingerbread man and snowflake) or you could roll dough into balls (just like cookies) put them on a cookie sheet and flatten them with the bottom of a cup.

Bake for 30-35 min or until crisp. Let cool and treat your pup!




No comments: